Veterinary Qualifications Required in NZ

Veterinary Qualifications Required for Vets to work in New Zealand

For current guidelines see : http://www.vetcouncil.org.nz/gainReg.php#listRecInst

Gaining Registration

All people working as veterinarians in New Zealand or representing themselves as a 'veterinarian' must by law (Veterinarians Act 2005) be registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand and hold a current practising certificate. If you are already registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand but need to renew your practising certificate follow the Veterinarians/Annual practising certificate link on the left hand bar on this page.
For those who are not yet registered, you will need to establish whether you are eligible for registration without examination or registration by examination (or neither). There are also different categories of registration. To check if you are eligible for general registration (i.e. without further examination) read the information below and refer also to this Information letter (Revised 22 March, 2009).
If you are eligible you can apply by downloading, completing and forwarding the Application form

If you are registered as a veterinarian in any Australian jurisdiction you can apply under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition (TTMR) provisions. Download, complete and forward the TTMR Application form


Registration Without Examination (General Registration)

List of recognised institutions
Under current registration policy VCNZ registration without further examination is granted to graduates with primary veterinary degrees from those schools which have been assessed and approved by an internationally recognised 'authority' having a rigorous assessment and review process.
The VCNZ recognises the authorities (and the schools accredited by them) set out on the list below. If you gained your primary degree at one of the institutions on the list, then, provided you meet the other registration requirements, you are entitled to apply for registration without examination. If not refer to the further information below on the examination process.
All applicants must also satisfy the Council that they can communicate in and understand English to an appropriate standard for practising as a veterinarian in New Zealand. Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of English competency by sitting and passing an approved English test to the required level (IELTS and OET testing, see below).
All applicants must also satisfy the Council that they meet the fitness and recency of practice requirements. The Council will require a letter of good standing from previous registration authority/authorities and will require you to make statements about your recency of practice and fitness to practise.
VCNZ Recognised Schools
Veterinary Schools Accreditation Advisory Committee (VSAAC)
VCNZ recognises veterinary degrees from these schools accredited by VSAAC:

  • New Zealand: Massey

  • Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Murdoch, Queensland

Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)
VCNZ recognises veterinary degrees from these schools accredited by RCVS:

  • United Kingdom: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Bristol, Cambridge and London

  • South Africa: Pretoria

  • Ireland: National University of Ireland. This is restricted to those who graduated up to and including 1988. Those who graduated from 2004 are also recognised – see below

NB Registration is also granted to holders of MRCVS by examination.
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
The VCNZ recognises veterinary degrees from these schools accredited by AVMA:

  • USA: Auburn, California, Colorado State, Cornell, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas State, Louisiana State, Michigan State, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, Ohio State; Oklahoma State; Oregon State; Pennsylvania; Purdue; Tennessee; Texas A & M; Tufts; Tuskegee; Virginia-Maryland; Washington State; Wisconsin-Madison

  • Canada: Montreal; Guelph; Prince Edward Island; Saskatchewan

  • Europe: Utrecht

  • The National University of Ireland (from 2008)

NB Registration is available for those who have successfully completed the USA Certificate of the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) or the Canadian National Examination Board Licensing Examination (NEB) for foreign graduates, as long as they fulfill other eligibility criteria required by VCNZ.

For current guidelines see : http://www.vetcouncil.org.nz/gainReg.php#listRecInst