Clutha Vets can trace its first farmer employed Vet back to 1908 and has been a farmer owned Vet Club since 1947. Our board of directors is made up of local farmers and a good number of our staff have farming interests.
Our vets service the South Otago area 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and our retail section provides a wide range of animal health products.
Our whole base is here to provide our clients with the most up to date professional Animal Health advice and services that are available.
The main clinic in Balclutha includes a fully equipped surgery that performs operations ranging from routine neutering right through to major orthopaedic cases. It also includes a laboratory, full x-ray and ultrasound facilities and 2 consultation rooms. The large retail outlet and bulk store enables us to store large quantities of stock.
The clinic in Milton also includes a surgery, consultation room, x-ray facilities and its own great team of vets, qualified veterinary nurses, and retailers.
On top of this Clutha Vets runs its own truck for bulk deliveries to farms and operates supply depots in Clydevale, Owaka, Clinton, Lawrence, Lee Stream and Momona to help provide convenient access for our clients.
Historically the club system was a method of introducing veterinarians to rural New Zealand.
It is a community-base partnership between farmers and vets. In each club, farmers actively contribute to the practice at the policy level through a board of directors, while clubs are managed on a day to day basis by executive officers, usually a senior vet.
Vets are employed as salaried staff.
Vets in club practices enjoy a supportive environment where professional development is encouraged.
Clutha Vets remains one of the few New Zealand vet club co-operatives employing its own vets that returns surplus funds back to its members and the community.
Sheep Farmer Newsletters
Dairy Farmer Newsletters
Calf Link Newsletters
Clutha Vets Facebook Page